Valkon
08.05.2020, 01:41

Editiert von
Valkon
10.05.2020, 07:57

+10Star Wars 75275 UCS A-Wing Starfighter Review und Designer Interview

Hallo Steinis,

heute möchte ich euch den UCS A-Wing kurz vorstellen. Kurz? Ja weil er leider nicht wie erhofft vor dem release zum 01.Mai angekommen ist, sondern erst am 06. was mir etwas meine Planung durcheinander gebracht hat.

[image]

Im Vorfeld habe ich die Möglichkeit die Designer zu Interviewen was ich eine tolle Möglichkeit finde mal einen paar persönliche Fragen zu stellen.

Lead Designer des Sets ist Jens Kronvold Frederiksen und der Designer ist Hans Burkhard Schlomer.

Das Ganze wurde von Sara Skahill Engagement Manager AFOL Engagement koordiniert.

Meine Fragen und die Antworten der Beiden:

1)When you start a new project with which media do you work?

Hans: I suppose you are wondering what kind of reference I use to get started. On Star Wars we always work with official reference pictures from Lucasfilm. It seems that from the original trilogy everything was kept and photographed after a movie was finished. There’s an abundance of material to work with and draw inspiration from to get a new LEGO set right.

2)Do you develop a lot digitally at the beginning or do you prefer to work with real Lego bricks immediately?

Hans: I develop every new set digitally first, up to a point where a model is already close to what the final product will look like. Then I build a physical copy. What can happen then is that the model is off target in terms of price. In that case I either make the model bigger or smaller in order to hit the mark. But I’m usually very close to my target. It’s part of the skill package you have or will develop as a LEGO product designer.

3)Are development progress discussed in the team or does the model remain a secret until the presentation to the other designers?

Hans: We work as a big team on LEGO Star Wars. Every designer knows what is planned for a new product wave, and we can also ask to be assigned to certain tasks we’d like to take on. During our design meetings we look at each other’s work and try to support the designer in charge with constructive criticism on his set.

4)Designing an ucs set is a great but certainly also a sought-after challenge. Can you choose that? Or do someone chooses that?
Jens: In the LEGO Star Wars design team, we always do our best to assign designers to the models they have most passion for. It is of course not always easy, as many models are very popular, therefore several designers would like to work on the same model.
It helps that model design is a team effort, so a designer can still influence and give input on a model he / she is not directly responsible for.

4)If you are a new designer in TLC you will not start by designing a UCS set for sure. How long you must work in the design team to get a big job like this now?
Jens: There is not a set time for this. The UCS models are usually big and challenging to design, therefore they are normally made by designers with several years' experience.

5) Were there constructional difficulties with the ucs model that drove you crazy?

Hans: UCS A-Wing had indeed a couple of interesting challenges in store for me, hidden under a deceptively simple and smooth exterior. But it never got to the point where things would become frustrating. I can always ask other designers for ideas or go to LEGO Technic for technic-based solutions.

6)Is the exchange with fans still important to you or do you prefer to share your knowledge with the other designers from TLC?
Jens: Interaction with LEGO Star Wars fans is very important for us. We follow fan forums, and do our best to fulfil the wishes for specific models, minifigures etc.
The new UCS A-Wing 75275 is a good example. We know it have been high on many fan’s wish list for years! And now it is here!!

7) If you get interview questions like you get now from me, are there people asking you if you can use a special part in your next model that didn't exist before? (By the way ... a 92438 in trans clear would be nice.

Hans: An 8x16 plate in transparent-clear, sure – coming right up!
Just kidding, haha - not gonna happen! In fact, nobody has asked me this ever before. The thing to know about color changes is this: while we do produce many elements in new colors every year, there is a production and logistics-based limit. This means we must be smart about how to use our limited color changes. It’s up to the designer to make a case for each individual color-change, to explain why it is necessary. In Star Wars, Jens has to approve all of my color changes, which means you’d have to bribe both of us for your transparent plate …. ;)

Der A-Wing:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Besonders die Bautechnik der vorderen, schrägen Module hat mir sehr gefallen. Hier waren die bunten Teile, tatsächlich sehr hilfreich. Die beiden Hälfen werden miteinander verbunden, eingehängt und dann mit einer 3L Bar fixiert.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Die Windscreen ist leider nicht bedruckt, sondern mit 3 Aufklebern dekoriert.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Das Model fühlt sich durch seine kompakte Bauweise sehr stabil und hochwertig an. Das Design ist toll, die Bautechniken (besonders die beiden vorderen, schrägen Bauteile die mit einer 3L Bar gehalten werden finde ich interessant. Ein tolles Modell das ca 5h entspannten Bauspaß garantiert.

Viele Grüße,

Marc

DER MODERNE AFOL VON HEUTE ZEIGT MIT STOLZ SEINE NOPPEN.

Pudie® , mcjw-s , Plastik , Larsvader , doe , Andi , Thomas52xxx , Turez , Jay , JuL gefällt das (10 Mitglieder)

Gesamter Thread: